Do you know soups are the best food to remain healthy? It not only provides nutrition to the human body but also increases the water level of the human body. There are many soup varieties in the food world, and the food connoisseurs have created tasty soup recipes for the gastronomes like you. When talking about soup, Chinese and Thai cuisine is very popular in making the best soups in the world. Today, a special Thai soup is on the recipe list, and its name is Tom Yum Goong soup.
Tom Yum Goong is a famous hot and sour Thai soup. It is originated in Thailand and is called Tom Yum because “Tom” is a boiling process, and “Yum” means mixed. Tom Yum is prepared with prawns and local ingredients of Thailand like herbs, vegetables, and spices.
This soup is very tasty, and if you love seafood, then you would definitely like it. This Thai soup is also an easy to make quick recipe. So, follow this step-by-step tom yum goong recipe.
Per serving contains 121 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 8.56g
- Protein: 11.47g
- Fat: 4.34g
- 350g medium-size shrimp, shell-on, head-on
- 4 cups of water
- 2 stalks of lemongrass, the bottom half only, cut into chunks
- 10 pc galangal, cut into thin rounds
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, roughly torn
- Thai chilies, to taste, crushed with mortar and pestle
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3-4 cups oyster mushroom, straw mushroom, or another Asian mushroom
- 1/4 cup Thai chili paste (name prik pao)
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- A big handful of chopped sawtooth coriander
- Jasmine rice for serving
- Firstly, rinse shrimp well, then peel and devein them. Place all heads and shells into a stockpot.
- Cook it on a medium flame and saute shrimp shells until the stuff that sticks to the pot starts to brown.
- Now add water and scrape off the browned bits and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Then remove shells with the help of a skimmer.
- Now bring the stock to simmer the flame and add lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal and chillies. Simmer for 5 minutes and stir well.
- After that, remove herbs from the stock with a skimmer.
- Then add evaporated milk and straw or oyster mushroom. Let it cook for 1-2 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
- Now add chilli paste and fish paste. Stir well so that the chilli sauce dissolves completely.
- After that, add shrimp meat and cook for 30 seconds until shrimps are done.
- After the shrimps are well cooked in the soup, turn the flame off and let the soup cool slightly for a minute.
- Then add lime juice and keep stirring.
- Add sawtooth coriander and stir.
The Thai Tom Yum Goong soup is ready. Serve it with jasmine rice and sip on this flavourful soup.