On Sunday morning, in every household, a special dish is prepared for breakfast. Likewise, in a Sindhi household, dal pakwan is served as breakfast. Dal pakwan is a signature Sindhi breakfast dish and is also a part of Sindhi cuisine. Pakwan is a crispy flatbread and dal is a yellow lentil thick soup. So, let’s make dal pakwan today.
Dal pakwan is prepared in two portions. One is pakwan, it is flatbread prepared with refined flour, carom seeds, oil, and water dough. Then, it is deep-fried in oil until crisp and golden. Secondly, dal is prepared with split chickpeas, tomato, ghee, and spices.
Follow, this quick recipe, to make dal pakwan.
Per serving contains 729 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 71g
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 40g
- 1 cup chana dal
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 green chilli, chopped
- 2 red chilli
- 1/2 inch ginger, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 1/2 pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
For Pakwan Dough
- 1 1/2 cup refined flour
- 1/4 tsp carom seeds, crushed
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Firstly, soak chana dal in water for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, drain the excess water from the dal and transfer the dal into the pressure cooker.
- Then, add 1 1/2 cup of water, salt, turmeric powder, and baking soda.
- Cover and cook until one whistle.
- After one whistle, turn the flame low and let it cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and let it cool slightly.
- Now, remove the lid and mash the dal.
- For tempering, in a pan, add oil, cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Now add ginger, green chilli, red chillies, asafoetida, turmeric powder, cumin powder, and tomato. Stir well
- Then, add salt and red chilli powder. Cook until tomatoes turns tender.
- After that, pour the prepared dal over it and mix well.
- Add garam masala and coriander leaves. Mix and stir well.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes and transfer it into a serving bowl and garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Take a large mixing bowl, add flour, salt, carom seeds, and oil.
- Mix well and add water gradually and knead the dough well.
- Cover the pakwan dough and let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, knead the dough again and divide it into small portions.
- Take a piece of dough ball and roll, and flatten it.
- Place it on a flat board and roll it into a thin disc with a rolling pin.
- Prick the pakwan with the fork. By pricking, the pakwan will not puff up while frying.
- In a kadai, heat some oil and deep fry the pakwan on medium flame. Fry until crisp and golden.
- Transfer the pakwan to a tissue paper-lined plate.
- Prepare the pakwan from the remaining dough with the same process.
The dal pakwan is ready to serve. Serve it along with green chutney, pickle, and chopped onion.