It is highly important and advised to stay hydrated and eat cold and healthy food in summer. Cold food and drinks help in cooling body temperature. Food items like ice cream shakes, Juices, lassi, fruits and shrikhand made from curd are some of the summer essentials. Curd is very healthy and is most effective in cooling the body temperature and hydration.
Thus, everyone should include curd in their daily diet, but eating curd daily can be boring, then why not make some dishes from it which will make it tastier. Lassi, Chaz and shrikhand are some dishes which you can make from curd. So, let’s make shrikhand today.
Shrikhand is a sweetened curd and a dessert. It is originated from Maharashtra, India. It has lots of flavours, and it is prepared with hung curd, sugar, saffron and cardamom powder. This dish is served cold, and you can also add fruits to add flavour and taste to it.
Let’s begin with the shrikhand recipe.
Per serving of shrikhand consists of 403 kcal
- Carbohydrates 159g
- Protein 43g
- Fat 146g
Ingredients For Making Shrikhand
- 8 cup milk
- 2 tbsp milk powder, unsweetened
- 1 tsp curd
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp saffron water
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Pistachios, blenched
- Saffron strands
- In a saucepan, add 1 cup of milk, milk powder and mix well.
- Then add 7 cups of milk, mix well. Stir continuously and boil it on medium flame.
- Now turn off the flame and transfer it into a bowl and let it cool until lukewarm temperature.
- Then add curd and mix it well. Let it rest for 8 hours.
- Check it after 8 hours; if it is wholly set, refrigerate it for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, remove it from the refrigerator, take a big bowl, and put a strainer on it.
- Then place a cotton cloth on the strainer, pour the curd, tie the cloth tight, and keep it aside for 2 hours.
- When the hung curd is ready, transfer it to a big bowl and mix well until it turns creamy and smooth.
- Now add powdered sugar, saffron water, and cardamom powder and mix everything well until thick and creamy consistency.
- Shrikhand is now ready to serve.
Serve this heavenly shrikhand in an earthen utensil and garnish it with pistachios and saffron strands. You can serve this homemade shrikhand after breakfast or dinner.