Are you bored with the same breakfast? Then, why not try something new? There are so many breakfast dishes in the culinary book, and in India, each state has its own popular breakfast dish. In Rajasthan, kachori is served for breakfast; in Gujarat khaman dhokla, in Punjab paratha, in Madhya Pradesh poha jalebi, and soojiupma in Andra Pradesh. Look how amazing it is. So, today why not cook one of these dishes. Let’s cook upma today.
Upma was originated in India and is consumed in Kerala, Andra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, and Maharashtra. It is served as a breakfast, and it is healthy and nutritious. Upma is prepared either with Rava or with rice flour. In this recipe, Rava is used to make upma. Other ingredients, which are used to make rava upma are curry leaves, lentils, vegetables, spices and lemon. Upma is a light breakfast and is said to be very healthy.
Scroll down for the rava upma recipe.
Per serving contains 192 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 123g
- Protein: 16g
- Fat: 52g
- 1 1/2 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup Rava/sooji
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves with stems, chopped
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp gota urad
- 1 tbsp chana dal
- 8 no. cashew nuts, cut into half
- 1 tsp ginger, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups of water
- 1 medium green chilli, chopped
- 12-15 curry leaves
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Firstly, in a wok heat ghee and add rava. Saute for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Keep string and once roasted turn off the flame.
- Remove and transfer it into a bowl. Keep it aside for further use.
- After that, in the same wok add oil and mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
- Now, add chana dal, gotta urad, and cashew nuts. Saute until light brown.
- Furthermore, add ginger and curry leaves. Cook for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Then, add chopped onion, green chilli and saute until onions turn translucent.
- Now, add water, salt, and sugar. Mix well and bring it to a boil.
- Boil it for 2 minutes and then add roasted rava.
- Cook and stir continuously.
- Once, all the water is absorbed, reduce the flame.
- Cover with the lid and cook for 1 minute.
- After 1 minute, remove the lid and add lime juice, coriander leaves, and ghee.
- Mix well and turn off the flame. Serve hot.
The delicious rava upma is ready to serve. Enjoy your healthy breakfast upma.