Have you only eaten meethi seviyaan and never tasted namkeen seviyan? Then, you should try it once. Once you eat it, you will never forget its taste and will love to cook it more often. It is an Indian version of noodles and is prepared with a desi twist and ingredients.
Namkeen seviyan is also called vermicelli upma. It is prepared with roasted vermicelli, curry leaves, vegetables, and spices. Kids are very fond of this dish. It is a perfect snack, and it is widely prepared in Karnataka. Some of its variants, which are famous in Karnataka, are tamarind seviyan, coconut seviyan, and lemon seviyan. It is not only tasty, but it is also healthy because it contains a lot of vegetables like carrots, peas, capsicum, cauliflower, and potatoes.
Here is the namkeen seviyan recipe.
Per serving contains 187 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Protein: 5g
- Fat: 3g
- 1 cup roasted vermicelli
- 4 baby corns, finely chopped
- 1 capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cauliflower, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 3-4 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2tbsp pasta sauce
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- salt to taste
- Firstly, in a saucepan, add water and roasted vermicelli. Boil until vermicelli softens.
- Once it is softened, remove and drain. Transfer the vermicelli into a bowl and keep it aside till in use.
- Then, heat butter in a pan and add ginger paste, chopped green chillies. Reduce the flame and saute.
- Now, add chopped carrots and baby corns. Stir and cook well for a minute on high flame.
- After that, add chopped cauliflower, capsicum and green peas. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Furthermore, add chopped tomatoes and mix and cook well.
- Then, add pasta sauce, chaat masala, and salt. Stir well until veggies are cooked.
- Now, add the boiled vermicelli and coriander leaves. Mix everything well until each vermicelli strand is coated with the mixture.
- Reduce the flame and then cook for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, turn off the flame and serve.
The vermicelli upma is ready to serve. Serve it with tomato ketchup.