You may have heard of sweet pies like apple pie, pumpkin pie or cherry pie, but have you ever heard or tried a spicy pie? In Australia, a special pie is prepared; its name is the meat pie. Meat pie is a staple food of Australia, and it is widely available in food snack restaurants and food paradises.
Meat pie is a national dish of Australia, and it is also part of New Zealand cuisine. It is considered iconic in Australia and New Zealand. Meat pie is made with minced meat and gravy. It also contains onion, mushroom and cheese. It is a takeaway snack, and Australians are crazy about this dish. The Australian meat pie was produced in 1947 in a small bakery in Bendigo. It was produced by L.T McClure, and later it popularized with the name Four’s Twenty pie.
It is very easy to make this tasty meat pie at home. So, here is the meat pie recipe.
Per serving contains 375 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Protein: 15g
- Fat: 21g
For The Crust
- 2 pound (900g) ground meat/pork or combination of 2-3 kinds
- 2 medium potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- salt to taste
- 2 garlic cloves
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1 1/4 cups water/beef broth
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg for brushing
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed or lard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5-7 tbsp cold water
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the crust
- In a food processor add all-purpose flour, salt, and cold cubed butter. Process until the lumps are formed.
- Now add cold water and process until dough is formed.
- Then transfer the dough on a flat board, pat it into a ball and flatten it into a disk.
- After that, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, add ground cloves, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, mustard powder, thyme, salt, and pepper. Mix well and keep it aside for further use.
- Now take a pan, heat olive oil and add chopped onion, celery and garlic. Saute for 4-5 minutes until translucent.
- Then add meat and cook for 4-5 minutes until no longer pink.
- Now add spice mix and stir. Add stock and let it boil; turn the flame low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, occasionally stirring until thickens.
- After that, add the mashed potato and mix well. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool.
For meat pie
- Preheat oven to 375*F/190*C.
- Sprinkle some dough on a flat board and place the prepared dough.
- Now divide it into two parts in the ratio of 2:3.
- Then roll out the bigger part to about 11-12 inch in diameter.
- Take an 8-9 inch pie pan and transfer it into it.
- Then, to transfer it into a pie pan, wrap it around the rolling pin completely and place it on the pie plate.
- Unwrap it slowly into a pie plate, mould it gently, and let the dough hang over the edges.
- Now fill it with a cooled meat mixture and grease the outer edge of the pastry with the beaten egg.
- After that, roll out the second part of the dough to about 10-11 inches.
- Cut a hole in the centre and place it on top of the filling. Trim and tuck the excess pie dough into the pan around the edges.
- Once it tucked completely and then crimps the edges of the pie dough to make it look presentable.
- After that brush, it with the egg wash and bake for 55-60 minutes until it turns golden.
- After 30 mins, add a pie crust shield or aluminium foil on top of the pie.
- Remove the dish from the oven. Allow the pie to cool down for at least 1 hr before serving.
Disclaimer: We respect all religions equally. Our motive is to explore the food of different cultures and provide valuable information and food recipes to you. We respect every culture and sentiments of the people.