Indian sweets are famous all over the world and each city of India has some famous sweets which are famous throughout the country. Like petha from Agra, Ghevar from Jaipur, Malpua from Pushkar, Basundi from Gujarat, Kubani ka meetha from Hyderabad and Sandesh from Kolkata.
Sandesh is a popular sweet dish in Kolkata. It is made with chenna, sugar, jaggery and condensed milk. This sweet delight is served during festivals and special occasions in Kolkata.
You can also make this dish at home with the help of this Sandesh recipe.
Per piece of sandesh contains 188 kcal
- Carbohydrates 77g
- Protein 32g
- Fat 79g
- 1-litre full cream milk
- 2 lemon juice
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 5 cardamom powder
- 20-25 saffron strands
- 10-12 pistachios, finely chopped
- Saffron strands
- Pistachios, blenched
- You can take a heavy bottom pan and add milk and let it boil on low flame.
- After the milk boils, turn off the flame and let it cool down.
- Add some water to the lemon juice and mix well.
- Add this lemon water to the slightly warm milk, and keep stirring until it’s curdled.
- Now set cheesecloth on a strainer and pour the curdled milk onto the cloth.
- Pour some cold water over it and hold the cloth tight and squeeze out excess water from it.
- Chenna is now ready; transfer it into a bowl and start kneading it for 5-6 minutes until smooth.
- Then add cardamom powder, pistachios, saffron strands, and powdered sugar to it and mix well.
- After that, heat a pan and add this chenna mixture and roast it for 3-4 minutes. Stir continuously.
- Turn off the flame and transfer the chenna into a bowl and let it cool.
- Then add cardamom powder into it and mix well.
- Mix the cardamom well and take a small portion of the mixture and shape it into an oval shape peda.
- Make pedas from the remaining mixture with the same process.
- Place all pedas into a plate and garnish it with saffron strands and pistachios.
The delectable sweet Sandesh is ready to serve. Enjoy this Bengali dessert with your loved ones.