It is already summer in India, and the temperature is increasing day by day. An increase in temperature means dehydration. So, this summer, do not let your body dehydrate, instead drink cool and healthy drinks. India has many drinks which not only beats the heat but also gives energy. Some of them are lassi, aam panna, fruit shakes and sharbat.
Sharbat is an Iranian drink that is sweet and made with fruits and rose petals. Sharbat was introduced to India in the 16th century by the Mughals. It was traditionally made with cane juice, but now it is made at home with water and sugar. It has many varieties like rose sharbat, lime sharbat, and khus sharbat.
Khus sharbat or syrup is made with khus roots (khus is vetiver root or branch grass), sugar, water, and citric acid. It is woody and sweet in taste and its consistency is thick and dark green in color. It is used as a flavoring agent for milkshakes, lassi, and ice cream.
This sharbat has many health benefits like it boosts blood circulation, reduces redness in the eyes, quenches thirst, and it contains antioxidants.
To make this cool drink follow this khus-khus sharbat recipe.
Per serving consists of 55 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 14.3g
- Protein: 0.1g
- Fat: 0.1g
- 1 lite water
- 4-5 drops green food colour
- 1 kg sugar
- 50 g Khus or Vetiver root or grass
- ¼ tsp citric acid, crushed
- 2-3 drops khus essence
- Cut the vetiver root and wash it with water 2-3 times.
- Transfer it in a utensil, add 1 litre of water and soak it overnight or for 7-8 hours.
- After 8 hours, boil it for 4-5 minutes on a high flame.
- Once the root softens, let it cool and strain its water.
- Transfer the water into a saucepan and add sugar; mix it well.
- Now, keep it on the flame and boil it for 7-8 minutes.
- Add citric acid, mix well and cook for 10-11 minutes on high flame until the syrup gets sticky.
- Once it gets sticky, turn off the flame and let it cool.
- Now add khus essence and green food colour, mix it properly.
- Let it cool down, and transfer this syrup into a glass bottle and store it in the refrigerator.
To Use It:
1. In a tall glass, add 2 tbsp khus sharbat and a glass of chilled water.
2. Mix it well.
Khus sharbat is ready to serve. Now don’t worry about summer, only enjoy the cool khus sharbat.
If you wish to watch a video tutorial for making khus sharbat. Here is the video: