Do you know other than pani puri, there is one more dish that is very tasty and is also a staple dish. Its name is kanji vada. Kanji vada is a Rajasthani dish and is a very famous staple food. It is prepared in two parts kanji and vada. The kanji is a fermented drink prepared with spices like mustard seeds, asafoetida, turmeric, and water. It takes several days to ferment water. Whereas vada is a fritter made from lentils and spices.
Rajasthani Kanji vada is served during the Holi and Diwali. It is also a popular street food in Gujarat. Kanji is a beverage itself. In the Rajasthani household, people drink kanji because it improves digestion. It is tangy in taste and also known as “Rani ka paani”.
Know, how to make kanji vada at home? With this kanji vada recipe.
Per serving contains 155 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 76 g
- Protein: 31 g
- Fat: 49 g
- 2 liters of water
- 4 tbsp black mustard seeds, finely grinded
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 pinch asafoetida
- 2 tsp mustard oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup moong dal, soaked in water for 2-3 hours
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 pinch of asafoetida
- Oil for frying
- Firstly, in a glass jar, add ground black mustard seeds powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, asafoetida, salt, mustard oil, and water. Mix well for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add more water and mix well again. Close it with a lid and keep it in a hot place for three days.
- Stir and check kanji every day. After three days, recheck it.
- Keep aside for further use.
- Firstly, remove water from the soaked moong dal. Transfer the dal into a mixer grinder jar and coarsely grind it.
- Now, transfer it into a bowl and add salt, asafoetida. Mix well until puffy.
- After that, in a pan, heat oil, add small bite-size balls, and fry until golden brown.
- Remove and transfer them in an absorbent paper-lined plate.
- Let it cool a bit.
- Now, put all the vadas into the kanji jar for 30 minutes to absorb kanji. Stir well.
- In a small glass add 2-3 vadas.
- Then pour kanji over it and serve.
The kanji vada is ready to serve. Enjoy this Rajasthani staple food.