Do you love eating paan? Especially the one which contains gulkand filling? Do you know? Gulkand is very beneficial for health, and it is an Indo-Persian dish. In Persian and Arabic language, the Gul means rose, and Kand means sweet or sugar. It is eaten as a mouth freshener and is also used as an ingredient in various dishes. Gulkand is tasty and helps in refreshing the mouth. Do you want to know how to make gulkand at home? Scroll down for the gulkand recipe.
During ancient times, the food connoisseurs used to make dishes according to weather and health. Thus, they created some food dishes, which are good for human health during the different seasons. Aam panna, roohafza, khus sharbat were invented because they help in maintaining the body temperature. Gulkand is one of those dishes, which was invented as a cooling tonic.
It is prepared with rose petals, honey, sugar, fennel seeds, and cardamom seeds. Traditionally, the Damask roses are used to make gulkand, now China rose, French rose, and cabbage rose are also used to make it. In the Unani medicine system, gulkand is used as a cooling tonic. Thus, it is good to consume it during summers.
So, here is your instant gulkand recipe.
Per serving contains 78 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Protein: 0g
- Fat: 0g
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- 100 gm rose petals, washed and wiped
- 4 green cardamom seeds
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp honey
- Firstly, in a mixing bowl, add powdered sugar and spread evenly.
- Now, add rose petals and top the rose petals with fennel seeds and cardamom seeds.
- After that, add honey and layer it once again with powdered sugar.
- Then, add rose petals and layer well.
- Now, add fennel seeds, cardamom seeds, and honey.
- Again spread a layer of powdered sugar.
- Cover and keep it in sunlight for three days.
- After three days, remove the cover and mix well.
- Remove and transfer it to an airtight glass jar.
The gulkand is ready; keep it in the refrigerator. You can use it as a mouth freshener, and you can also make ladoo, kheer and milkshakes with it.