The one dish which is cooked and served in every Indian household is khichdi. It is one of the tastier and healthier Indian food. Khichdi is nutritious and easy to digest. It is light food and can be consumed as breakfast, lunch, or dinner. So, let’s cook dal khichdi today.
Khichdi is made with lentils and rice. There are many varieties of khichdi like sabudana khichdi, bisi bele bath, chakkara Pongal, Gujarati khichdi, Bihari khichdi, Bengali khichori, and Rajasthan’s bajra khichdi. In this recipe, khichdi is prepared with rice, lentil, spices, and vegetables. Do you know the Anglo-Indian Kedgeree was inspired by the dish khichdi?
Scroll down for the dal khichdi recipe.
Per serving contains 320 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 232g
- Protein: 50g
- Fat: 38g
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup moong dal (yellow)
- 2 potatoes, cubes
- 1/3 cup green peas
- 2-inch ginger, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 12-15 curry leaves
- 2 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1-2 green chilli, chopped
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- salt to taste
- coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp ghee
- 4 garlic cloves
- 8 curry leaves
- In a large bowl, add rice, dal, and water. Rinse them properly and keep them aside for further use.
- In a pressure cooker, add oil, cumin seeds, chopped ginger, and garlic. Cook well until it turns golden.
- Then, add chopped onion, curry leaves and mix well. Saute and cook for 3-4 minutes on medium flame until it changes its colour.
4.Now, add chopped tomatoes and green chillies. Mix well.
5. Add potato cubes and peas and mix well.
6. Then add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala powder. Mix well.
7. After that, add rice and dal. Cook for 1 minute on low flame.
8. Now, add 6 cups of water and salt to taste. Mix well.
9. Cover and pressure cook for four whistles on medium flame.
10. After four whistles, turn off the flame and let it cool.
11. Meanwhile, in a tempering pan, heat ghee and add garlic and curry leaves. Saute until brown.
- Open the pressure cooker lid and pour this tempering over it.
- Lastly, garnish the dal khichdi with coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve it on a once platter.
The tasty dal khichdi is ready to serve. Serve it with curd or raita.