Do you love eating seafood and try different varieties of seafood? Then, this time make crab at home. Crab is one of the most populara and loved seafood dishes. So, if you are planning to make crab, then make Singapore’s famous chilli crab. It is sweet and savoury in taste.
Chilli crab was invented by Cher Yam Tian and her husband Lim Choo Ngee in 1956. They used to sell the stir-fried crab with tomato and chilli sauce from a pushcart in Singapore. From there, it gained popularity, and now it is promoted as one of the national dishes of Singapore by the Singapore Tourism Board.
It is also listed at number 35 on World’s 50 Most Delicious Foods. The chili crab is prepared with crabs and a special sauce. It is sold in seafood restaurants in Singapore.
Let’s begin with the Singaporean chili crab recipe.
Per serving contains 389 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Protein: 34g
- Fat: 19g
Ingredients Chilli Crab
For Chilli Crab
- 2 medium-sized crab
- 300-400 ml chicken stock water
- Handful of coriander
- 1 beaten egg
For Base Paste
- 1-inch ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 large red chilies
For the sauce
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 4 capfuls rice wine
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1.5 tbsp palm sugar
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1-pinch sea salt
- For the Base paste: In a mixer, blender jar, add chopped garlic, ginger, onion, spring onion, and red chillies. Blend well to get a smooth paste. Keep aside for further use.
- For Sauce: In a bowl, add shrimp paste, rice wine, tomato puree, palm sugar, rice vinegar, and sea salt. Mix the ingredients well and keep them aside for further use. Beat the eggs and keep them aside for last-minute stir into the sauce.
- For Crab: Cut crab claws in half and crack the shell. Portion the legs into quarters and clean them. Keep the head intact and keep crab aside for further use.
For Chilli Crab
- In a wok, add vegetable oil and base paste. Stir fry for 4-5 minutes on medium flame until it is brown.
- Now add the prepared sauce, and let it boil. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes until it starts to reduce.
- After that, add the chicken stock and bring it to a boil. Once it’s boiling, add the crab and stir well.
- Then, cover the crab with sauce and then cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and serve.
- On a serving plate, add the cooked crab with sauce.
- Now add the beaten egg into the hot sauce and stir well.
- Finally, pour this sauce over the crab and garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.
The hot Singapore chilli crab is ready to serve. Relish this tasty dish and enjoy your food.