Are you fond of chicken curry but got bored of eating regular chicken curries? Why not try a different variant of curries around the world? Sounds amazing? So, try the authentic Thai Panang chicken curry. It is the best Thai curry in Thailand.
The Thai Panang chicken curry is a thick, salty and sweet red Thai curry with kafir lime flavour. It is prepared with the special curry paste, popularly known ad Panang curry paste. The Panang curry is prepared with local spices and herbs of Thailand like kaffir lime, galangal, and coconut milk. It is also known as Red Thai Curry.
This dish was first mentioned in 1890 in the book “Tamra Kap Khao” by “Somchin Rachanupraphan”. It is sold in every restaurant in Thailand.
Make this Thai curry at home with the Thai Panang chicken curry recipe.
Per serving contains 319 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 13.1g
- Protein: 9g
- Fat: 27.5g
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500g chicken thigh fillets, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp finely shaved palm sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- fresh red chili, sliced
For Panang curry paste
- 10 dried long red chilies
- 3 cm piece galangal, finely chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk, pale part bruised, finely chopped
- 3 Asian red shallots, roughly chopped
- 2 coriander roots
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3 kaffir lime, finely chopped
- zest of 1/2 kaffir lime, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp shrimp paste
- 1 tbsp roasted peanuts
For Parang curry paste
- Firstly, soak the dried chillies in hot water for 10-15 minutes.
- Then remove the chillies from the water and reserve the water.
- Roughly chop the soaked chillies and transfer them into a food processor jar.
- Then add galangal, Asian red shallots, lemongrass stock, peanut, shrimp paste, coriander, cumin, coriander roots, kaffir lime zest, garlic cloves, and kaffir limes into the food processor. Blend it into a smooth paste.
- Then add 1 tbsp of preserved water into it and blend once again.
- Transfer the paste into a bowl and keep aside for further use.
For Chicken Curry
- Take a pan, heat some vegetable oil and add the half curry paste. Cook and keep stirring for 2 minutes.
- After that, add chicken and stir fry until the chicken starts to colour.
- Now add coconut milk, stir well and cover. Put the flame on simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, open the cover and add fish sauce and palm sugar. Stir well.
- Now transfer it into a serving plate and drizzle some coconut cream.
- Finally, top it with kaffir lime leaves and slices of red chilli.
The tempting Thai chicken curry is ready to serve. Pair this curry with Jasmine rice and enjoy your dinner.