Do you want to impress your guest with your cooking skills? So, make the delicious chicken curry. It is a perfect main course dish and it will surely impress your guest. This chicken curry is not ordinary, and don’t understand estimate it with any normal chicken curry because it is the famous Massaman Chicken curry.
The Thai chicken massaman curry was invented by the Persian merchant Shiek Ahmed Qomi, in central Thailand during the 17th century. It is called Massaman because of its Muslim roots. The Massaman chicken curry is prepared with a special paste called massaman paste.
It is the fusion paste of local Thai ingredients, Indian spices and flavours brought by Persian trader. Therefore, this rich, mild Thai curry is a fusion dish and most popular among the people of Thailand. In 2011, Massaman chicken curry was ranked as one of the most delicious foods for the title World’s 50 Most Delicious Food.
It is very easy to make this dish. So, to make this famous chicken curry, follow this step by step chicken Massaman curry recipe.
Per serving contains 239 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 5.5g
For Curry Paste
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- whole spices for dry roast
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 5 shallots. with skin on
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1-inch of galangal
- 1 lemongrass stalk, roughly chopped
- 3 dried chillies, deseeded soaked until soft & chopped
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 600ml coconut milk
- 300g chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 5 small onions
- 3 tbsp massaman curry paste
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp palm sugar
- 1 piece of roasted cinnamon
- 3 tbsp tamarind juice
- 5 roasted cardamom pods
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
For Curry Paste
- Take a pan, add whole spices and dry roast on low flame for 2-3 minutes. Stir continuously.
- Now transfer them directly into a mortar and pestle and add ground cardamom. Pound them until finely ground.
- After that, add garlic, galangal, lemongrass and shallots. Ground them into a rough paste.
- Now, add the soaked and drained red chillies and salt into the mortar. Mix and pound until it smoothens.
- Finally, add shrimp paste to it and pound until you get a smooth paste.
- Keep this paste aside for further use.
For Chicken Curry
- In a saucepan, add vegetable oil, cinnamon, cardamom pods, bay leaves and prepared curry paste. Stir and cook on medium to high flame until fragrant.
- Now add chicken chunks and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- After that, add a little quantity of coconut milk, stir well and add the remaining coconut milk. Mix well
- Then add tamarind juice and potato cubes. Mix and turn the flame low and let it simmer until chicken and potatoes are fully cooked.
- Now add fish sauce, palm sugar and simmer again for just 2 mins.
- After 2 mins, now turn the flame off and transfer this curry into a serving bowl.
- Lastly, garnish it with roasted peanuts and fresh coriander leaves.
- The Chicken curry is ready to serve. Serve the homemade chicken curry with rice and enjoy your meal.
The Chicken curry is ready to serve. Serve the homemade chicken curry with rice and enjoy your meal.